[PVE-User] high cpu load on 100mbits/sec download with virtio nic

Maxime AUGER m.auger at auranext.com
Tue Jun 12 18:04:58 CEST 2018

Hello,

I can t enable PCID/Spectre-ctrl, host does not support it
Same results using CPU type host
I notice that GUEST %CPU decrease by allocating a single vcpu
In that situation I have same 7% CPU on PROXMOX and VMWARE GUESTS
But on host side it s drastically different
On VMWARE HOST  : 8%  CPU
On PROXMOX HOST : 50% CPU (40% qemu process and 10% vhost kernel thread)

I also notice that with single vcpu ksoftirq CPU time consuming on GUEST is close to zero
With dual vcpu (or more) ksoftirq increase even when GUEST is idling

It appears to be an improper use of the CPU whether with the HOST CPU type or kvm64
I started with last stable proxmox ISO (5.2), I dont know how to improve CPU utilisation

Do you notice the same behavior, GUEST/HOST CPU usage difference ?

Thank you