[PVE-User] How does Proxmox handle Kernel Patches?

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Jun 12 07:40:31 CEST 2018

On 6/11/18 10:40 PM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Am 08.06.2018 um 14:44 schrieb Thomas Lamprecht:

>>> That would be great. I volunteer for testing ;-)
>>>

>> That'd be perfect! Backported, packaged and available on pvetest
>> repository as:
>>
>> pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve which should get pulled in by the
>> pve-kernel-4.15 meta package. Also directly downloadable at:
>> http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/stretch/pvetest/binary-amd64/pve-kernel-4.15.17-3-pve_4.15.17-12_amd64.deb
>
> Frankly it solved the issue on one port of the quadport NIC, but not on
> the other.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the work.

Hmm, weird stuff. As nothing else is open for this driver as
of today I'd suggest reporting this upstream, as it's reproducible.

I'd write to netdev at vger.kernel.org and CC the patch author
(maybe he got an idea) Rob Taglang (see the patch for a mail)
eventually me and the get_maintainer script outputs:

# scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f drivers/net/ethernet/sun/
"David S. Miller" <davem at davemloft.net> (odd fixer:NETWORKING DRIVERS,commit_signer:15/17=88%)
Shannon Nelson <shannon.nelson at oracle.com> (commit_signer:5/17=29%,authored:3/17=18%)
Allen Pais <allen.lkml at gmail.com> (commit_signer:3/17=18%,authored:3/17=18%)
Zhu Yanjun <yanjun.zhu at oracle.com> (commit_signer:1/17=6%)
Ingo Molnar <mingo at kernel.org> (commit_signer:1/17=6%)
Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk> (authored:1/17=6%)
Rob Herring <robh at kernel.org> (authored:1/17=6%)
Tobias Klauser <tklauser at distanz.ch> (authored:1/17=6%)
netdev at vger.kernel.org (open list:NETWORKING DRIVERS)
linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org (open list)

Makes normally sense to add them to CC too, maybe even the OVS list
for good measure.

This can be a bit of work for you, but if this is a real Kernel
problem the report and chance to reproduce it, you'd not only
help yourself but the whole Linux community :)

cheers,
Thomas