[PVE-User] How does Proxmox handle Kernel Patches?

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu Jun 7 12:56:24 CEST 2018

Hi,

On 6/7/18 12:27 PM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!>
> We are using Proxmox with OVS and SUN NICs and it seems we are hit by
> this bug:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/14224923c3600bae2ac4dcae3bf0c3d4dc2812be#diff-0bb9a1cc5be29abf50531852db2df75f
>
> It is included in 4.17. Proxmox currently uses 4.15.17-9.
>
> Will PVE5.1 stay with 4.15 or maybe upgrade to a newer kernel?

Yes PVE 5.X will keep the 4.15 (and for now 4.13 still too) kernel,
based on our kernel upstream which is Ubuntu's Bionic (or Artful)
kernel, respectively. Thus we periodically merge stable updates,
e.g. the ones from the 4.14 lts stable branch and newer releases
stable branches (4.16/4.17 at the time of writing).

> If not, is there any chance that above patch will be applied by Proxmox?

Currently your mentioned patch is not queued for a upcomming
update, but it applies cleanly and between this patch and our
current state of the affected driver nothing really happened,
so I wouldn't be opposed to backport this for our next kernel
update.

cheers,
Thomas