[PVE-User] mlock'ing VM processes

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Wed Aug 29 09:22:08 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have issues on clusters with lots of Windows VM's, where the host
decides to swap VM memory in favor of (it seems) filecache.

root at proxmox05:~# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cach
ed
Mem:        386874     382772       4101        326          0     2080
23
-/+ buffers/cache:     174749     212125
Swap:         8191       1775       6416

The customers are experiencing slower VM's because of parts of their
memory being swapped out.

It looks like libvirt has a solution to lock a VM's memory into 'real'
memory. [1] Is there a way we can make Proxmox do the same?

[1]:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/virtualization_tuning_and_optimization_guide/chap-virtualization_tuning_optimization_guide-memory-backing

--
Kerio Operator in de Cloud? https://www.kerioindecloud.nl/
Mark Schouten  | Tuxis Internet Engineering
T: 0318 200208 | info at tuxis.nl