[PVE-User] VZDump and Ceph Snapshots

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Tue Aug 28 16:27:42 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm currently using vzdump with the snapshot method to periodically
generate vma-files for disasterrecovery. vzdump in snapshot mode
instructs Qemu to start backing up the disk to a specific location, and
while doing so, VM users can suffer poor performance.

We run practically all VMs on Ceph storage, which has snapshot
functionality.

Would it be feasable to alter VZDump to use the following flow:

* Start
* guest-fs-freeze
* rbd snap $image at vzdump_$timstamp
* guest-fs-thaw
* qemu-img convert -O raw rbd:$image at vzdump_$timstamp $tmpdir
* vma create
* rbd snap rm $image at vzdump_$timstamp
* Done

Regards,

--
Kerio Operator in de Cloud? https://www.kerioindecloud.nl/
Mark Schouten  | Tuxis Internet Engineering
T: 0318 200208 | info at tuxis.nl