[PVE-User] DHCP for non cloudinit VM

Thu Aug 23 21:20:45 CEST 2018

Am 21.08.2018 um 10:35 schrieb José Manuel Giner:
> What I ask is that Proxmox offer us a native DHCP server integration,
> so that we can configure VMs as easily as in cloud-init based VMs or
> containers.

I do not have a solution but I see the point of José.

The thing is about having untrusted VMs where a user can install any OS
and can hack around in the VM as he like (e.g. setting any MAC addresses
on the interfaces). Hence, any agent-based solution does not work. So,
if the VM uses DHCP and the DHCP is integrated into Proxmox/qemu (if
possible) that would be a great feature. Assigning an IP address as any
other VM parameter (disk ...) and then beeing sure that the VM got this
IP address offered by DHCP (and any other IP addresses, MAC addresses
configured in the VM will be refused) would be a very very nice feature.

So why having DHCP integrated into Proxmox instead of adding it outside?
Why is storage replication added to Proxmox instead of doing it manually
with cronjobs? Why is User management integrated inside Proxmox although
could could implement it yourself with some reverse proxy in front of
the GUI?  Because it is very useful.

Honestly, the first time I used Proxmox and provisioned a VM I asked
myself why I can not configure the network settings of the VM.

regards
Klaus