[PVE-User] Cluster doesn't recover automatically after blackout

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Wed Aug 1 11:02:18 CEST 2018

Hi all,

This morning there was a quite long blackout which powered off a cluster
of 3 proxmox 5.1 servers.

All 3 servers the same make and model, so they need the same amount of
time to boot.

When the power came back, servers started correctly but corosync
couldn't set up a quorum. Events timing:

07:57:10 corosync start
07:57:15 first pmxcfs error quorum_initialize_failed: 2
07:57:52 network up
07:58:40 Corosync timeout
07:59:57 time sync works

What I can see is that network switch boot was slower than server's, but
nonetheless network was operational about 45s before corosync gives up
trying to set up a quorum.

I also can see that internet access wasn't back until 1 minute after
corosync timeout (the time sync event).

A simple restart of pve-cluster at about 9:50 restored the cluster to
normal state.

Is this expected? I expected that corosync would set up a quorum after
network was operational....

# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 5.1-41 (running kernel: 4.13.13-6-pve)
pve-manager: 5.1-46 (running version: 5.1-46/ae8241d4)
pve-kernel-4.13.13-6-pve: 4.13.13-41
pve-kernel-4.13.13-2-pve: 4.13.13-33
ceph: 12.2.2-pve1
corosync: 2.4.2-pve3