[PVE-User] ceph client only and configuration order

Christophe Martin Christophe.Martin at univ-brest.fr
Wed Sep 13 19:31:21 CEST 2017

Hi list,

I’d like to clarify some points on the otherwise excellent
doc at https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html

First, do I need to "pveceph install" If I just want the nodes of my
pve5 cluster to be clients of an existing luminous CEPH cluster
and use RBD for images (and eventually rootdir) ?

Second, in chapter "4.2.3. Creating initial Ceph configuration", it
is stated
«
   pveceph init --network 10.10.10.0/24
   This creates an initial config at /etc/pve/ceph.conf.
   That file is automatically distributed to all Proxmox VE nodes by
   using pmxcfs.
»
but I understand that pmxcfs only does its job if I create a
proxmox cluster first ("pvecm create foo", "pvecm add …").

Is it correct that I must first create a proxmox cluster with
"pvecm create foo", "pvecm add …" as described in chapter 6
before I try to create a CEPH cluster, as described in chapter 4,
on top of the proxmox cluster ?

Thank you for your answers.
Christophe.