[PVE-User] HA Fencing

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri Nov 17 11:55:48 CET 2017

Hi,

On 11/16/2017 07:20 PM, Mark Adams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It looks like in newer versions of proxmox, the only fencing type advised
> is watchdog. Is that the case?

Yes, since PVE 4.0 watchdog fencing is the norm.
There is a patch set of mine which implements the use of external fence device,
but it has seen no review. I should probably dust it up, look over it and re send
it again, it's about time we finally get this feature.

> Is it still possible to do PDU fencing as well? This should enable us to be
> able to fail over faster as the fence will not fail if the machine has no
> power right?

No, at the moment external fence devices are not integrated.
You can expect an faster recovery with external fence devices, at least in
simple setups (i.e., not multiple fence device hierachy)

cheers,
Thomas