[PVE-User] Can't mount external USB drive to container

Chase, Brian E Brian.Chase at gd-ms.com
Thu Nov 9 18:36:10 CET 2017

I was able to use the GUI to add a USB device and subsequently mount it on a guest QEMU Virtual Machine, but those same options are not present in the web UI for containers, so I found some related documentation here:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Devices_in_Virtual_Machines

I followed instructions, substituting the container number and the desired USB device found with the 'lsusb' command, and get this error:

root at pve:~# qm set 103 -usb0 host=0bc2:3322
Configuration file 'nodes/pve/qemu-server/103.conf' does not exist
root at pve:~#

I noticed that it was looking at a directory that caught my attention, the "qemu-server" portion of the pathname above set off a red flag, and made me believe that perhaps ONLY full blown QEMU virtual machines are supported when it comes to attaching USB devices.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me definitely whether or not containers support the connection of external USB storage devices?  If so, can you point me to documentation that works in order to make this container/USB device connections?