[PVE-User] Problems with backup process and NFS

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Mon May 22 15:37:32 CEST 2017

>> the culprit is likely that your storage.cfg contains the IP, but your
>> /proc/mounts contains the hostname (with a reverse lookup inbetween?).
>>

> I was following https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_NFS , quote: "To avoid DNS lookup delays, it is usually preferable to use an
> IP address instead of a DNS name". But yes, the DNS in our environment is configured to allow reverse lookups.
>
>> can you test using the hostname in your storage.cfg instead of the IP?
>
> I removed the former definition and umounted the NFS share on all nodes. BTW, why is a storage not umounted when it is deleted
> from the WebUI?
>
> Now storage definition looks like:
>
> nfs: aurel
> 	export /backup/proxmox-infra
> 	path /mnt/pve/aurel
> 	server aurel.XXXXX.de
> 	content backup
> 	maxfiles 30
> 	options vers=3
>

> With this definition, the backup succeeded (and I got mails back from each host).
>

> So it seems that the recommendation from the wiki prevents PVE's mechanism from working properly (when being used in an
> environment where reverse name lookups are correctly configured).

I discovered a different issue with this definition: If I go to Datacenter -> node -> storage aurel -> content I only get "mount
error: mount.nfs: /mnt/pve/aurel is busy or already mounted (500)".

The share is mounted again with IP address though I didn't change the config after above.

# cat /proc/mounts
[…]
<IP address>:/backup/proxmox-infra /mnt/pve/aurel nfs
rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=<IP
address>,mountvers=3,mountport=892,mountproto=tcp,local_lock=none,addr=<IP address> 0 0

root at px-alpha-cluster:~# df
Filesystem                         1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% Mounted on
[…]
<IP address>:/backup/proxmox-infra 4294967296  63842304 4231124992   2% /mnt/pve/aurel

Also Datacenter -> node -> storage aurel -> summary says:

enabled: yes
active: no
content: vzdump backup file
type: NFS
usage: n/a

But to mention it again: backups do work now.