[PVE-User] Problems with backup process and NFS

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon May 22 13:25:24 CEST 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 01:59:27PM +0200, Uwe Sauter wrote:

> >> I suspect that something just doesn't send emails in that specific error case…
> >
> > yes, seems like activate_storage is called very early on to retrieve
> > maxfiles and dumpdir via PVE::API2::VZDump (POST) -> PVE::VZDump->new()
> > -> PVE::VZDump::storage_info() , and that call is not guarded by an
> > eval, thus no error handling and sendmail is triggered. can you file a
> > bug for that? thanks!
> >

> Do I have to create separate users for bugzilla and forum? Don't have a forum user yet but it would probably be benificial…

yes, those two are not connected.

> > the underlying issue is still unclear to me.. can you post the output of
> > the following snippet (insert your correct IP)
> >
> > perl -e '
> > use strict;
> > use warnings;
> > use PVE::Storage::NFSPlugin;
> > my $server = "INSERTNFSSERVERIPHERE";
> > my $export = "/backup/proxmox-infra";
> > my $mountpoint = "/mnt/pve/aurel";
> > print PVE::Storage::NFSPlugin::nfs_is_mounted($server, $export, $mountpoint, undef), "\n";
> > '
> >

> Result: "Use of uninitialized value in print at -e line 8."

which means it returned undef, so PVE thinks the storage is not mounted.

> > if that does not output anything, the following might also be
> > interesting (feel free to censor as you see fit):
> >
> > perl -e 'use strict; use warnings; use PVE::ProcFSTools; use Data::Dumper; print Dumper(PVE::ProcFSTools::parse_proc_mounts());'
> >

> $VAR1 = [
>           [
>             '<hostname of NFS server>:/backup/proxmox-infra',
>             '/mnt/pve/aurel',
>             'nfs',
>             'rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=<if of
> NFS server>,mountvers=3,mountport=892,mountproto=tcp,local_lock=none,addr=<ip of NFS server>',
>             '0',
>             '0'
>           ],
>         ];

the culprit is likely that your storage.cfg contains the IP, but your
/proc/mounts contains the hostname (with a reverse lookup inbetween?).

can you test using the hostname in your storage.cfg instead of the IP?

> >> Is there a way to test the mail configuration using PVE's mechanism?
> >
> > yes, just pipe your mail into the the sendmail command I posted ;) to
> > check past mails, you can also use something like
> >
> > journalctl -b | grep 'pvemail\|postfix'
> >

> I tested the bakcup job with a local storage and then I got emails. So it is definitivly something related to NFS and backups, not
> the mailing mechansim.

yes and no - nothing special about NFS here, would be triggered by any
storage where storage_info (or the sub call to activate_storage) fails.

see my proposed patch for #1389 on pve-devel:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2017-May/026511.html