[PVE-User] PVE behind reverse proxy: different webroot possible?

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:49:09 CEST 2017

Hi Thomas,

I've been working on this and found half of a solution. Using Nginx' sub_filter rules I was able to get all the static stuff to be
displayed under a new webroot "/pve".

This is the relevant parts of my Nginx configuration:

/etc/ngnix/conf.d/default
####
upstream proxmox-cluster {
  ip_hash;
  server pve-host1:8006;
  server pve-host2:8006:
  server pve-host3:8006;
}

server {
  server_name                myserver.example.org;
  listen                     443 ssl;

  add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
  add_header X-Frame-Options "SAMEORIGIN";
  add_header X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block";
  add_header X-Robots-Tag none;
  add_header X-Download-Options noopen;
  add_header X-Permitted-Cross-Domain-Policies none;

#[…] other locations

  location /pve/ {
    proxy_pass https://proxmox-cluster/;

    gzip off;

# filter to rewrite href anchors in content
    sub_filter               'href="/'       'href="/pve/';
# filter to rewrite src anchors in content
    sub_filter               'src="/'        'src="/pve/';
# filters to add prefix to urls (e.g. in pvemanagerlib.js)
    sub_filter               'url: "/api2'   'url: "/pve/api2';
    sub_filter               "url: '/api2"   "url: '/pve/api2";
    sub_filter               'url = "/api2'  'url = "/pve/api2';
    sub_filter               "url = '/api2"  "url = '/pve/api2";
# needed to load js files used by console window
    sub_filter               'url = "/api2'  'url = "/pve/api2';
    sub_filter               "url = '/api2"  "url = '/pve/api2";
#
    sub_filter_last_modified on;
# replace every occasion not only first
    sub_filter_once          off;
# use filter on all types, not only on text/html
    sub_filter_types         *;

    proxy_set_header Host $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto https;

# necessary to tell pveproxy not to compress responses or else sub_filter will not work (as it does not decompress)
    proxy_set_header Accept-Encoding "";

    proxy_redirect off;

    # really needed?
    proxy_buffering off;
    client_max_body_size 0;
    proxy_connect_timeout 60s;
    proxy_read_timeout 60s;
    proxy_send_timeout 60s;
    send_timeout 60s;
  }
}
####

With this configuration I had partial success. What is not working currently:

* Notes on the summary tab of virtual machines. Error displayed is:
  "Error Method 'GET /pve/api2/extjs/nodes/hlrs-pxmx-02/qemu/101/config' not implemented (501)"

* Separate console window does not load. It seems that the URL needed to access a console is constructed by several function calls
and I don't know where I need to search for the string I need to replace. It tries to load
"https://myserver.example.org/api2/json/nodes/pve-host1/qemu/101/vncproxy" while it should load
"https://myserver.example.org/pve/api2/json/nodes/pve-host1/qemu/101/vncproxy".

* Inline console view: result is that I get displayed the root of my server: "https://myserver.example.org/index.html" (though
index.html is added by Nginx directive "index" for location "/").

* There might be more things I missed. Not even tested is containers (I don't have any).

Do you have any suggestions on those issues?

Regards,

	Uwe

PS: Please also note that the use of single and double quotes inside pvemangerib.js is inconsistet (compare lines 4296 and 33465).
This is the reason why I have 2 sub_filters for basically the same replacement.