[PVE-User] Windows Server 2003 HP 6400 RAID

Hexis lists at hexis.consulting
Fri Mar 31 19:42:23 CEST 2017

Just wanted to report back and say that this worked like a charm. All I
really needed to do was remove the disc from the VM and re-add it as an
IDE disc, I redid the DD to update it since things had changed since we
did the last clone. If anyone is interested (this isn't mentioned in the
ProxMox Wiki or anywhere else as far as I can tell), this is the process
I used to P2V a Windows 2003 server DIRECTLY to LVM-THIN on my Proxmox Host:

 1. Power down, boot with *nix boot disc
 2. fdisk -l
 3. create VM in Proxmox with IDE Drive, size = larger than the original
    disc
 4. from the boot disc: dd if=/dev/sda | ssh root@<ip address> dd
    of=/dev/pve/vm-103-disk-1 bs=1024k"
 5. Wait a few years
 6. Boot it, mount the VirtIO drivers and install

It's been running beautifully since then and I got to decommission the
evil power hungry blender sounding HP Proliant Circa 2003. Props to
Yannis and Alessandro.

Peace out.

-Hexis