[PVE-User] Ansible role for Proxmox (4.x clusters)

Jeff Palmer jeff at palmerit.net
Thu Mar 9 03:15:17 CET 2017

Musee,

I finally got a chance to test out this role.  I appreciate the
effort. it's hugely helpful.

I have 3 suggestions to help improve the role.

#1) the ssh port should be a confirable variable.  a lot of people
don't run ssh on 22. (this is an opinion, and as such, completely
optional)

#2) Proxmox recommends removing the os-prober package to reduce the
possibility of corruption in vms and containers:
    See https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie#Recommended:_remove_the_os-prober_package
for reference.

#3) Each node should have all other nodes listed in the /etc/hosts
files.  Currently, it only adds the local hostname to it.
      Additionally,  the local node should add "pvelocalhost" to the
/etc/hosts entry.  An example for a host of "10.0.0.2"

10.0.0.1 mox1.example.com mox1
10.0.0.2 mox2.example.com mox2 pvelocalhost
10.0.0.3 mox3.example.com mox3

I did notice that if I tried changing the cluster name (in this case,
mox-dfw)  I got several errors.   I didn't get a chance to try to
diagnose/debug why it failed.  When I removed that option, and used
the defauls, all was fine.

Overall, I'd say this is great work.  Thanks for your efforts! Hope
this feedback can help.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Musee Ullah <musee.ullah at fireeye.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I wrote an Ansible role last year for deploying PVE on multiple hosts
> and preparing them to join a PVE cluster. It's available on Galaxy: htt
> ps://galaxy.ansible.com/lae/proxmox/. The main features currently are
> IPMI watchdog configuration and SSH key generation/configuration (with
> the assumption that root logins are disabled by default, as they should
> be).
>
> It doesn't perform the cluster creation step (yet) - but all that's
> needed after applying the role are running `pvecm create $clustername`
> on $firsthost and `pvecm add $firsthost` on the remaining hosts.
>
> So far I've used it to deploy 4.3 and 4.4 clusters without issue, and
> I've also used it to upgrade a 4.3 cluster to 4.4 (without automatic
> reboot).
>
> I'm open to contributions and/or suggestions, so feel free!
>
> lae / Musee

Jeff Palmer
https://PalmerIT.net