[PVE-User] Backup to S3-compatible storage using vzdump

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Tue Mar 7 09:40:45 CET 2017

Hi,

I'm working at Tuxis, we specialize in hosting infrastructure,
supplying services to our customers on which they can build their own
products.

We sell Proxmox clusters, and obviously, they need to be backed up. In
addition to our default backup solution, we have dadup.eu, which is S3-
compatible storage.

Waking up this morning, I thought "Why can't I vzdump my images to
dadup!?" So I was just looking into this. And s3fs is not suited for
large files so hacking this together is a bad idea.

But, it should be pretty nice if Proxmox allowed for an S3-compatible
storage, for backups only. Vzdump output could be piped through an
encryption layer (optionally) and `split` to create a bunch of smaller
files.

Proxmox should be able to do a LIST on the bucket and see which VM's
have backups and restore from it, just like a normal storage-point.

I'm able to and willing to invest time and effort into making this
reality, as well as sponsoring an S3-compatible platform where we can
test towards. But I'm looking for people that are interested in this
option and would use it. No use in writing stuff nobody would use.

--
Kerio Operator in de Cloud? https://www.kerioindecloud.nl/
Mark Schouten  | Tuxis Internet Engineering
T: 0318 200208 | info at tuxis.nl