[PVE-User] Query disk usage

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Mar 6 15:29:01 CET 2017

On 03/06/2017 10:22 AM, John Crisp wrote:
> I am a bit puzzled as to how to do a simple disk usage query on Proxmox
> 4 with LVM thin.
>
> The normal commands such as df -h etc do not give the correct figures.
>
> The drive is on a hardware RAID. To the system it is a single drive.
>
> Here are some of the figures I managed to extract, but none are simple
> to interpret.

I suppose you would like to know how much data are using your VMs using
thin logical volumes.

For this you can simply use lvs.

Commented output on my system:

lvs | grep -i data

  LV            VG   Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%
  data          pve  twi-aotz-- 100.00g             0.65
  vm-404-disk-1 pve  Vwi-a-tz--  32.00g data        2.02

Here I have a 'data' thinpool LV, like you, containing a single disk
image LV 'vm-404-disk-1'

On this disk image 2.02% of the 32GB have been already allocated. which
represents 0.65% of the total available size on the thin pool.