[PVE-User] ZFS Checksum Error in VM but not on Host

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 18:14:20 CEST 2017

>> 2 reason for this, first having checksums^^, second snapshots.
> And I prefer ZFS over any other filesystem.

Whats the reason why ZFS is not good in a VM?

IMHO that's a waste of system resources. Since your VM disk already lies on
a ZFS filesystem, where it can leverage all features you said (checksums,
snapshots etc), what's the point of having ZFS inside VM at the same time?
ZFS is not just another f/s, it consumes a lot of resources, particularly
RAM. Of course I don't say it's not doable, I would use it in VM just for
testing stuff...

> I understand the error and the solution, but not really why it happen. In
> the meantime I got an answer from Wolfgang Link who thinks it could be a
> bit flip in memory...

Usually checksum errors are caused by RAM issues (other factors could be
damaged SATA cables and more). Are you using ECC RAM on the server? I would
suggest you to post this question on ZoL mailing list, there you can get
much better feedback about pros and cons.

Yannis