[PVE-User] Proxmox 5 : IPv6 for containers and VM

Jean-François Milants jf+proxmox at codingfield.com
Wed Jul 19 16:52:39 CEST 2017

Hello,

I'm discovering the joys of virtualization, containers,... with Proxmox
5, and I have an issue with IPv6.
I've already posted this question on the forum, but I didn't get any
answer.
I hope it's fine to re-post it here...

So! I'm using Proxmox 5. My provider provides me with 1IPv4 and a /64
IPv6 subnet.

I've already managed to create a NAT network to share the IPv4 with
containers and VM.
But I don't know how to assignIPv6 addresses to these containers and VM.
As I have a whole /64 subnet, I guess I should be able to assign one or
more addresses to the guest VM.

Here are the information from my provider:

     IP : 2a03:4000:1c:199::/64
     Gateway : fe80::1

And here is my current configuration (/etc/network/interfaces)

----
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface lo inet6 loopback

iface ens3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
         address  ***.***.***.***
         netmask  255.255.252.0
         gateway  ***.***.***.***
         bridge_ports ens3
         bridge_stp off
         bridge_fd 0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
         address  2a03:4000:1c:199::2
         netmask  64
         gateway  fe80::1

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
         address  10.129.0.1
         netmask  255.255.0.0
         bridge_ports none
         bridge_stp off
         bridge_fd 0
         post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
         post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.129.0.0/16' -o
vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
         post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.129.0.0/16' -o
vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
----

With this configuration, the host has IPv6 access. Could you explain me
how to configure the CT/VM to assign them IPv6 addresses?

Thanks !