[PVE-User] PVE 5. / Corosync / Fencing

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Jul 3 09:03:33 CEST 2017

Hi Devin

On 07/03/2017 04:49 AM, Devin Acosta wrote:
> *I am using the latest Proxmox Beta in a 2-node cluster right now (just
> doing some testing). From what I read it appears that I need to setup
> fencing, and possibly watchdog in order to finish making the cluster fully
> HA? I want the ability that if a host dies or loses access to the storage
> network that it will restart the container/VM on another host in the
> cluster.

this is exactly what the HA stack provides

do you have two or three nodes ? reliable HA requires three nodes.

out of the box PVE4 and PVE5 works with a software defined watchdog
which will self fence the node if cluster communication is lost
see
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-ha-manager.html#ha_manager_fencing
for the fine docs

if the VM/CT is defined as a HA resource, it will be automically
restarted on another node when fencing takes place