[PVE-User] VLANs

Dimitri Alexandris d.alexandris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:24:10 CET 2017

This was posted in the list, a couple of weeks before:

QUOTE

Hi all,

And interesting research study I came across seems to indicate that
OpenVSwitch based network is superior to Linux Bridge based network in
virtual setups: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jece/2016/5249421/

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

UNQUOTE.

There isn't a lot new to learn.  As soon as you set your network (via
Proxmox GUI), OVS elements do the same thing, bridges are bridges, etc.  Me
myself i am not an expert on networking, and managed to work it ok.

VLAN additions, and usual network changes are easier.  IP-less VLANS work
as expected, like a real switch.  I 've read many new possibilities but did
not explored them.  My usual use include 3 - 5 vmbrs, 5 - 10 VLANs in OVS
IntPorts, a bond, and a few more eth/vmbr pairs.

The only drawback i have discovered, is when openvswitch is upgraded.  Now
i always perform system upgrades from an actual console (physical), and not
from ssh, because (sometimes) when the openvswitch daemon restarts your ssh
console freezes and the upgrade stucks.  That does apply only when the
openvswitch
package is to be upgraded.

I can send you privately my config files for help, or any other help you
may want.

You may experiment first to see what happens in a non "production" server.