[PVE-User] VLANs

Dimitri Alexandris d.alexandris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:51:38 CET 2017

Since you know how to make a bond (switch + proxmox settings), you should
learn and use Openvswitch:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch

It's a faster and more elegant solution.  I use it exclusively now with
every Proxmox i run.

1-  Install it via console:  apt install openvswitch-switch .

2-  From Proxmox GUI, delete all of your present configutation.  Keep a
backup first of your existing /etc/network/interfaces  just in case.

3-  Create an OVS Bond, with vmbr0 and both your ethernets as members.  I
use [LACP (balance-slb)].  If you don't see a vmbr available, create this
first (OVS Bridge) with another eth, and later you remove the eth from it.

4-  Don't assign an IP on vmbr0.

5-  Add as many OVS IntPorts you need, each with it's own VLAN and
optionally an IP and/or GW.  You should see bond0, lan, dmz, etc. as vmbr0
members.

6-  Configure your switch (both ports AND bond) to your VLANS, all tagged.

7-  Reboot.

In your Network settings page, you should see only OVS elements (+ the two
eths of the bond as Network Devices).

You can assign IPs directly to vmbrs when you don't need other VLANs on
them.