[PVE-User] version 4.4. typo and shrinking

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Thu Feb 16 10:52:57 CET 2017

On 02/14/2017 04:24 PM, Lari Tanase wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Lari

> I've installed the 4.4. for some tests and learning activities on a
> spare machine I have found some issues
>
> 1. typo error in code
> https://github.com/proxmox/qemu-server/blob/master/PVE/API2/Qemu.pm line
> 2767
>> die "unable to skrinkdisk size\n" if $newsize < $size;
> I believe skrink should be shrink

thanks, correction is on the way

> 2. even on the wiki is presented as an option in manual of qm it seems
> that shrinking is not supported any more

hum, actually the wiki article at
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resize_disks says:
"Shrinking disks is not supported by the PVE API and has to be done
manually. "

> 3. as long in 4.4 VM are in separate lvm's what is wrong doing this?
>
> 3.1. backup your vm
> 3.2. boot your VM machine with an GParted iso and shrink whatever you
> want there
> 3.3. check that VM is sound after that step ( you can make another backup )
> 3.4. stop your machine and issue
>
> lvreduce -L zzzG /dev/pve/vm-xxxx-disx-y

there is nothing wrong with this approach.
the thing is that from the hypervisor size we have absolutely no way to
know if the prior FS shrinking operation completed successfully in the VM.

The risk that the user shoot himself in the foot is way too big,
especially if such an option lands in the gui.