[PVE-User] Disk recognition order

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 13:44:43 CEST 2017

I thought so but when setting up new VMs where the disks don't have partitions yet, there is yet nothing that you could use
(especially when using automation for deployment, e.g. Ansible).

As you can see from my config the disks have different sizes and it's really unintuitive when the second configured device (which
I expected to be /dev/sdb) has the wrong size…

On hardware you usually can count on the order of connected SATA/SAS ports where empty ones are just skipped. And if using HBAs or
RAID cards they usually initialize first before presenting the detected disks (in order) to the OS.

Having a look at the dmesg output it seems to be a timing issue: highest LUN is recognized as first.