[PVE-User] Proxmox 5 Kernel Question

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon Aug 14 08:29:15 CEST 2017

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:25:14PM +0200, Nils Privat wrote:
> I noticed that proxmox 5 is using kernel 4.10. The kernel 4.10 is EOL since
> may and proxmox stable released in july, so it is true that there will be
> no security fixes/bugfixes anymore? Are promox devs planing to upgrade to
> 4.12 (4.11 is also EOL) or are you may waiting for 4.14 because this will
> be a LTS version? Just curious?

The (current) PVE 5 kernel is based on Ubuntu 17.04's 4.10 kernels,
which are supported by Canonical until Fall 2017 (shortly after the
release of 17.10, which is targeting a 4.13-based kernel).

So yes, this kernel release is EOL upstream, but no, that does not mean
it does not get bug fixes or security fixes ;)