[PVE-User] MTU size changed on a running cluster

Wolfgang Link w.link at proxmox.com
Wed Nov 23 16:29:01 CET 2016

This is a openvswitch bug.
The workaround is to use openvswitch 2.6, it is on testing repo and set
mtu_reqest on the interface.

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/FAQ.rst

Q: How can I configure the bridge internal interface MTU? Why does Open
vSwitch keep changing internal ports MTU?

A: By default Open vSwitch overrides the internal interfaces (e.g. br0)
MTU. If you have just an internal interface (e.g. br0) and a physical
interface (e.g. eth0), then every change in MTU to eth0 will be
reflected to br0. Any manual MTU configuration using ip or ifconfig on
internal interfaces is going to be overridden by Open vSwitch to match
the current bridge minimum.

Sometimes this behavior is not desirable, for example with tunnels. The
MTU of an internal interface can be explicitly set using the following
command:

$ ovs-vsctl set int br0 mtu_request=1450
After this, Open vSwitch will configure br0 MTU to 1450. Since this
setting is in the database it will be persistent (compared to what
happens with ip or ifconfig).

The MTU configuration can be removed to restore the default behavior with:

$ ovs-vsctl set int br0 mtu_request=[]
The mtu_request column can be used to configure MTU even for physical
interfaces (e.g. eth0).