[PVE-User] [pve-devel] online migration broken in latest updates - "unknown command 'mtunnel'"

Chance Ellis chance_ellis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 18:01:44 CET 2016

Hi Tom,

You have the essential issue.

I have my original cluster. All nodes are running these versions: http://pastebin.com/vquKJaKJ

As a test, I added a new node to the cluster, running these versions: http://pastebin.com/Jg5LH0RD

When I try to migrate from old->new, I get the following error: http://pastebin.com/YazWBtn2

When I try to migrate from new-> old, I get the following error: http://pastebin.com/hBfBnsYP

Thanks!

On 11/18/16, 11:44 AM, "pve-user on behalf of Thomas Lamprecht" <pve-user-bounces at pve.proxmox.com on behalf of t.lamprecht at proxmox.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    On 11/18/2016 05:02 PM, Chance Ellis wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am running a small cluster of 3 nodes. I would like to upgrade those nodes to the newer versions. The problem I will run into is a requirement for no down time.
    >
    > My normal upgrade plan is to live migrate vms off of node-1  to the remaining 2 nodes. I then upgrade and reboot node-1. Once node-1 is operational, I move vms from node-2 to node-1. I upgrade and reboot node-2. I follow the same for node-3.
    >
    > The issue I will run into is that once I upgrade node-1, I won’t be able to migrate vms from node-2 back to it because of the version mismatch on qemu-server and pve-cluster. The migration will fail. The only option I will have is to shutdown the vm and move the conf file. Back to the no down time requirement, this is less than ideal.

    If I understand you correctly you have
    new node1
    old node2

    And migration from node2 -> node1 does not work?
    That should not be, if you run into this can you post the error from the
    migrate command?

    We normally try to guarantee that old -> new works, the other way around
    cannot be always guaranteed.

    I tested this also now and it worked. I down graded a test node of mine,
    started a VM there and live migrated it successfully to a upgraded VM.

    > Is there another way to migrate the vms with the new version packages using the old method that doesn’t detect or a separate migration network?

    If you have not configured it it will not be used.
    Migrate a unimportant test VM first to see if it works.

    cheers,
    Thomas