[PVE-User] Backup

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon Nov 14 07:40:21 CET 2016

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 08:46:53PM +0100, Daniel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> before we used LVM-THIN we were able to Backup all Contains directly from the Host-System.
> Now, everythink is LVM. Is there any known and easy way to backup all Hosts including all VMs?
> For example with rsync or backuppc or how ever?

you can mount a container's volumes to be accessible on the host by
calling "pct mount ID". please be aware that this sets a lock on the
container and needs to be reversed by "pct unmount ID" afterwards.

but I would advise you to use vzdump to backup containers - you get a
(compressed) tar archive, the config is backed up as well and you get
consistency "for free" (or almost free ;)). normally, you want to
restore individual containers anyway.