[PVE-User] Cluster disaster

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu Nov 10 11:39:53 CET 2016

On 11/09/2016 11:46 PM, Dhaussy Alexandre wrote:
> I had again another outage...
> BUT now everything is back online ! yay !
>
> So i think i had (at least) two problems :
>
> 1 - When installing/upgrading a node.
>
> If the node sees all SAN storages LUN before install, debian
> partitionner tries to scan all LUNs..
> This causes almost all nodes to reboot (not sure why, maybe it causes
> latency in lvm cluster, or a problem with a lock somewhere..)
>
> Same thing happens when f*$king os_prober spawns out on kernel upgrade.
> It scans all LVs and causes nodes reboots. So now i make sure of this in
> /etc/default/grub => GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

Yes OS_PROBER is _bad_ and may even corrupt some FS under some
conditions, AFAIK.
The Proxmox VE iso does not have it for this reason.

> 2 - There seems to be a bug in lrm.
>
> Tonight i have seen timeouts in qmstarts in /var/log/pve/tasks/active.
> Just after the timeouts, lrm was kind of stuck doing nothing.

If it's doing nothing it would be interesting to see in which state it is.
Because if it's already online and  active the watchdog must trigger if
it is stuck for ~60 seconds or more.

> Services began to start again after i restarted the service, anyway a
> few seconds after, the nodes got fenced.

Hmm, this means the watchdog was already running out.

> I think the timeouts are due to a bottlenet in our storage switchs, i
> have a few messages like this :
>
> Nov  9 22:34:40 proxmoxt25 kernel: [ 5389.318716] qla2xxx
> [0000:08:00.1]-801c:2: Abort command issued nexus=2:2:28 --  1 2002.
> Nov  9 22:34:41 proxmoxt25 kernel: [ 5390.482259] qla2xxx
> [0000:08:00.1]-801c:2: Abort command issued nexus=2:1:28 --  1 2002.
>
> So when all nodes rebooted, i may have hit the bottleneck, then the lrm
> bug, and all ha services were frozen... (happened several times.)

Yeah I looked a bit through logs of two of your nodes, it looks like the
system hit quite some bottle necks..
CRM/LRM run often in 'loop took to long' errors the filesystem also is
sometimes not writable.
You have in some logs some huge retransmit list from corosync.

Where does your cluster communication happens, not on the storage network?

A few general hints:

The ha-stack does not likes it when somebody moves the VM configs around
from a VM in the started/migrate state.
If it's in stopped it's OK as there it can fixup the VM location. Else
it cannot simply fixup the location as it does not know if the resource
still runs on the (old) node.

Modifying the manager status does not works, if a manager is currently
elected.
The manager reads it only on it transition from slave to manager to get
the last state in memory.
After that it writes it just out so that on a master reelection the new
master has the most current state.

So if something bad as this happens again I'd to the following:

If no master election happen, but there is a quorate parition of nodes
and you are sure that thier pve-ha-crm service is up and running (else
restart it first) you can try to trigger an instant master reelection by
deleting the olds masters lock (which may not yet be invalid through
timeout):
rmdir /etc/pve/priv/lock/ha_manager_lock/

If then a master election happens you should be fine and the HA stack
will do its work and recover.

If you have to move the VMs you should disable those primary, ha-manager
disable SID does that also quite well in a lot of problematic situations
as it just edits the resources.cfg.
If this does not work you have no quorum or pve-cluster has a problem,
which both mean HA recovery cannot take place on this node one way or
the other.