[PVE-User] User experience issues with Proxmox' new webUI ("Summary" pages)

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Tue May 3 10:24:27 CEST 2016

On 04/29/2016 11:54 AM, Frank Thommen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have updated one of our PVE systems from 4.1-1 to 4.1-33 in one go and
> now I am seeing an overhauled webUI (specifically the summary pages).
> While I like the zoomable graphs, I have several issues with the new UI:
>
> a) font and line spacing have changed and are now using more (IMHO too
> much) space on the screen while not becoming better readable.
> Screenspace is valuable and I'd like it to be used as effectively as
> possible
>
> b) the additional space used in the "Status" box and the bigger size of
> the graphs have pushed the second graph ("Memory usage") out of my
> screen (fairly standard 24", 1920x1080).  The old layout (I'm comparing
> with a still running 3.4-6) allowed me to see all the cpu usage and the
> top half of the memory usage w/o any scrolling.  This was very efficient
> and in most cases just the information I was looking for.  To get the
> same information with 4.1-33 I have to scroll down for each vm/container.
>
> c) graph buildup is now "animated" but also considerably slower.  The
> old layout/graphs allowed me to very quickly browse through all
> vms/containers and check cpu and memory "by eye" as text boxes and
> graphs showed up almost instantaneously.  With 4.1-33 I have to wait 1-2
> secs for each vm/container to show the graphs.

does zooming out with your browswer help to see more content here ?
please note that without client side rendering of the graphs, it would
not be possible to zoom in and out the graphs themselves
and client rendering takes a bit more of time of course

 d) when by mistake one of the fields in the "Status" box is selected,
> the page always "jumps" back as soon as the page has been scrolled down...

Yes I could see that issue
the text fields here should actually not be selectable
can you please submit a bug report in https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ for
that ?