[PVE-User] New Proxmox cluster

Lutz Willek l.willek at science-computing.de
Mon Jun 6 11:00:57 CEST 2016

Hey Edgardo, Dmitry,

Am 06.06.2016 um 09:40 schrieb Edgardo Ghibaudo:
> Il 03/06/2016 17:05, Dmitry Petuhov ha scritto:
>> 03.06.2016 17:19, Lutz Willek wrote:
>>> Maybe I dont understand you correctly, but qcow2 is not possible with
>>> SAN.
>>> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
>> Not quite. There's some cluster-aware filesystems like gfs2 or ocfs2,
>> which can run over shared storage, including SAN, supporting not-raw
>> images.
>> I didn't seen official manuals for such setups, but googling for
>> "proxmox iscsi gfs2" may give some hints.
Well, of course there are options, finally we use Linux, so you can
almost do anything.
However, I doubt that Edgardo would be happy with such kind of setup,
otherwise he would ask his questions in a different way. (no offence)

Relative to the original post: I wonder if it is possible simply to use
NFS instead of iSCSI? This would be easy-peasy to implement, has cluster
capability (in proxmox terms) and qcow2 (i.e snapshots are possible)
could be used in addition to raw image-files.

>> Storing images on local (or any other not shared) storage will break
>> live-migration and HA, so it's better to store all VM images on shared
>> storage, if you can.
+1

Yes.  https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

> Following the document http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model, in the
> _LVM Groups with Network Backing section_:
> after the definition of the Volume Group Name on the LUN, Proxmox see in
> the Storage of the Datacenter the Volume Group.
> How can create different Logical Volumes using EXT3 or EXT4 file systems
> in the Proxmox Volume Group ?

You may be able to do this, but doing so is useless, because ext3/4 is
not cluster-aware. (i.e. can not be used in a "clustered proxmox setup"
on different nodes at the same time)

> In the Storage type Content section is reported the following:
> SCSI <http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=iscsi&go=Go>:
> this storage is either used directly (Note: this can be dangerous, see
> further down), or as a base to define local LVM storage entries (see
> further down), or as ZFS, it needs a portal address and a target ID
> What does it means ? Only ZFS over iSCSI ...

So far I have almost no experience with ZFS, sorry.

> Thanks, Edgardo

Freundliche Grüße / Best Regards

          Lutz Willek