[PVE-User] pvestatd: exclude ZFS pool from being read

René Mayrhofer rm at ins.jku.at
Tue Jul 19 21:36:16 CEST 2016

Am 2016-07-19 um 19:25 schrieb Dietmar Maurer:
>> Unfortunately, I didn't find any documentation on how to configure
>> pvestatd (manual pages, first web searches, etc.). How can I tell
>> pvestatd to exclude that ZFS pool from its regular scans or to only read
>> meta-data (e.g. zfs list or zpool iostat -v will return free space on
>> the pool without touching the disks)? I
> You cannot do that - this feature is simply not implemented.
Why does pvestatd even read directly from the disks (or the single VM
image I configured on that pool)? Does it need more than disk usage from
the storage pools? That could be acquired from in-memory meta data only,
I strongly assume. If I misunderstand the point of pvestatd, then maybe
I need to setup my storage pools differently to make Proxmox better
usable for a home / SME setting? Is pvestatd supposed not to read from
the pool when there is no VM configured on it?

Just for reference, the custom server I am testing now consumes around
16-25W in idle mode with discs off and around 40-45 with the platters
spinning. That difference (also quite noticeable in temperature and
therefore fan noise) makes it highly interesting to spin down the discs
for as long as possible. When the setup is working, We plan to publish
that on the institute's web page as a howto/recommended configuration
for energy-efficient home / SME virtualization (looking at future smart
homes here).

Thanks,
Rene