[PVE-User] Regression on virtio-net ? (Was: Re: Proxmox VE 4.2 released!)

Gilou contact+dev at gilouweb.com
Fri Apr 29 08:48:20 CEST 2016

Le 29/04/2016 00:47, Alexandre DERUMIER a écrit :
> Can you try with previous kernel 4.2 ?  (and keep proxmox 4.2 )
>
> I would like to known if it's a regression in qemu or kernel.

As I said, I did that, the bug is not there (or not that obvious). On a
4.2.6 kernel, using qemu 2.5, I get ~30% of a core for 1 Gbps, which
seems reasonnable.

I also tried on VirtualBox/KVM, on Ubuntu 16.04 host, and the bug does
not appear there. I can try on qemu probably too, but it seems to me the
kernel is at fault here.

> also, you can try to install
>
> #apt-get install linux-tools-4.4
>
> and do a
>
> #perf top
>

> you should see which system call use a lot of cpu

Here's the result, while spitting ~1 Gbps on the LAN:
https://framapic.org/eT9JbqGsqSEK/txwSUJRpiIV3.png
On the left, perf top, on the right top with relevant fields, showing
all threads.

so read_tsc using ~23%, ktime_get ~10%, and single thread (even if the
VM has multiple cores) using 100% on the host. So maybe it's not
virtio-net directly. I have a lot of CPU used on a E1000 as well, but
that didn't strike me as obvious, as I expected this.

So you know:
# uname -a
Linux px1 4.4.6-1-pve #1 SMP Thu Apr 21 11:25:40 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.2-48 (running kernel: 4.4.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.2-2 (running version: 4.2-2/725d76f0)
pve-kernel-4.4.6-1-pve: 4.4.6-48
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-36
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 1.0-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-39
qemu-server: 4.0-72
pve-firmware: 1.1-8
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-59
libpve-access-control: 4.0-16
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-50
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.5-14
pve-container: 1.0-62
pve-firewall: 2.0-25
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-28
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-7
lxcfs: 2.0.0-pve2
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve9~jessie

If I can troubleshoot that further, let me know...

Cheers,

Gilles Pietri