[PVE-User] Ceph or Gluster

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Fri Apr 22 13:06:06 CEST 2016

Hi Mohamed,

El 22/04/16 a las 12:42, Mohamed Sadok Ben Jazia escribió:
> Hello list,
> In order to set a high scalable proxmox infrastructure with a number of
> clusters, i plan to use distributed storing system, for this i have some
> questions.
> 1- I have a choice between Ceph and Gluster, which is better for proxmox.
I have no experience with Gluster, Ceph has been great for our use.
> 2- Is it better to install one of those systems on the nodes or on
> separated servers.
Better on separated systems, but works quite well on the same systems if
the load is ok. Proxmox Ceph Server integration is very nice and saves
lots of work.
> 3- Can this architecture realise a stable product, with VM and LXC
> migration (not live migration), store backups and snapshots, store iso
> files and lxc container templates.
In order to use Ceph for backups and ISO/templates, you'll have to use
CephFS. It is considered experimental in current Ceph version in Proxmox
(Hammer) but today a new Ceph LTS version has been released (Jewel),
that marks CephFS stable and production-ready. I think this will be
integrated in Proxmox shortly, developers are talking about this in the
mailing list today.

I use NFS for backups and ISO/templates. For our storage needs this is
enough.

Cheers
Eneko

--