[PVE-User] Debian 8 Template w/o systemd?

Frank Thommen frank.thommen at uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Apr 20 18:39:02 CEST 2016

On 04/20/2016 06:14 PM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> I'm a little bit puzzled, that the PVE-Template for the Debian 8
>> container comes w/o systemd.  Instead it looks like an SysV init system.
>>    Is there a specific reason for this?
>
> yes, systemd inside debian 8 is very old, and many users had problems in the
> past.
> Not sure if that is still the case.

On a completely updated Debian 8 container on PVE 3.4 (started from
Debian 7 and dist-upgraded to 8), systemd is version 215.  According to
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/releases?after=v220 this version is
of July 3, 2014.  I assume this /is/ considered old :-).  On the other
hand I haven't experienced any problems so far.

On https://wiki.debian.org/systemd it says "Please make sure that you
are using Debian jessie or newer to get a recent version of systemd.".
Hmm, "recent"...? ;-)

But not including systemd makes the task of streamlining an IT
environment harder.  If you try to keep bare metal and virtual hosts on
the same distro and release (Debian 8), one can still not use the same
mechanisms and settings everywhere (systemd on metal, SysV init in
containers).  Switching to systemd once a system has been installed as
SysV init system hasn't worked for me (yet).

frank