[PVE-User] Swap problems

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Feb 9 10:47:28 CET 2015

Hi all,

Last week in our own servers (local & cloud) and this night on a
client's proxmox cluster, swap space has been f*cking the systems:

- There was plenty of RAM free (i.e. 3GB of 12GB total free)
- Linux kernel used more disk cache than free RAM (4-5GB)
- Just after midnight, after backups where running for about 5 minutes,
system started to trash like hell. This made the osd daemon running in
the server to be kicked out of ceph cluster (daemon was running fine but
with slow operations - no disk errors (disk is SSD))

So I have removed swap space from the servers, so that linux kernel is
not too agressive with disk caching.

Has anyone had similar problems? Is enabling swap by default as does the
PVE installer really a good default?

Cheers
Eneko

--