[PVE-User] Best configuration among these

mir at miras.org mir at miras.org
Thu Feb 5 12:25:50 CET 2015

On 2015-02-05 09:59, Philippe Schwarz wrote:

> I'm wondering about the shared storage solution.
> Whether home-made (10Gbe + iSCSI/NFS) or built-in solution (Vendors
> DAS bay) :
>
> "home-made"
> FreeBSD 10.1 + ZFS + iSCSI (or NFS)
> Dell/HP  5U + 32 2,5" bays
> 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630
> 64 GB RAM ECC
> 2 X  RAID 1GB non-volatile cache
> Firmware should'nt block non-certified disks... (Hp reseller already
> told me this would be nearly impossible)
> IDRAC Enterprise 8GB
> 2 X Hotplug PSU > 800W
> 1 X Dual 10GbE SFP+ Intel NIC
> 1 X Quad 1Gb Intel NIC
> 2 X SD card 8GB / SSD 64 GB (OS)
> + 1 (not redundant) or 2 (redundant configuration) 8 ports 10Gbe SFP+
> + 1 UPS
> 5 year NBD warranty

If you go for a home-made storage solution I would recommend omnios
since iSCSI on solaris based servers are far superior to iSCSI on
FreeBSD. The old one on FreeBSD needs restart whenever a LUN is changed.
The new implementation is limited in number of LUNS per portal and since
ZFS plugin on proxmox creates a lun per zvol you will hit this limit
very quickly.

To add GUI to omnios I will recommend napp-it which is OSS:
http://www.napp-it.org/
For your purpose you might will find the monitor add-on useful. This
add-on requires a paid subscription:
http://napp-it.org/extensions/monitoring_en.html

----

This mail was virus scanned and spam checked before delivery.
This mail is also DKIM signed. See header dkim-signature.