[PVE-User] Strange ZFS Performance

Pongrácz István pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 19:33:33 CEST 2015

Hi Lindsay,

Could you post me the following results by private email (outputs of these commands)?

zpool status -v

zpool get all

zfs list

zfs get all (needed 2 times for the system and data)

arcstat.py

Questions:

did you turn on dedup on your pools?

do you use any non-default zfs/zpool settings?

how is your cpu load on normal and stressed (problematic) situation?

is it true, the situation depends on uptime? For example usually the situation happens after 2 weeks?

Or can you see any pattern when the bad situation happens?

Hints without too much explanations:

you can monitor your pool activity by the following command: zpool iostat -v 1 (a screenshot would be nice)

do not turn on dedup. if you turned on -> recreate your pool from backup without dedup enabled

the default memory usage of zfs is 50% of the physical RAM. Due to the interaction between the linux memory management and spl, the total used memory could be the double of the ARC size. In other words: plan your memory allocation: MEMORY_OF_ALLVM + 2 * ARC size

probably it is much better to turn off swap, as the swap is on zfs:

any problem on zfs will bring your computer down -> like performance

if your system start to use swap, your system is underplanned (as I can see, this is not the case)

try to find a pattern of your performance issue

Best regards,

István