[PVE-User] Linux bridge, kvm, ipv6, intel 10gbe

Sten Aus sten.aus at eenet.ee
Mon Apr 27 16:45:22 CEST 2015

Hi

Has anyone encountered a bug regarding to Linux bridge, KVM and IPv6?

I have a situation where my KVM machine cannot see other VMs in another
node. Everything else is working inside a PVE Host. But this VM can ping
outside world, for example Facebook, Google (IPv6 of course) etc.

I’ve found bugreport from 2014, but it should be solved by now. And I
have latest 2.6.32-37-pve kernel ( Installed: 2.6.32-150) and regarding
to changelog, IPv6 neighbor solicitation should be solved in -149 release.

|pve-kernel-2.6.32 (2.6.32-149) unstable; urgency=low
* IPv6: forwaring ICMP6 neighbor solicitation on bridge

Switches: Extreme Summit X670-48x, DELL N4064F
Network cards (10G):

|    Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ (using driver*ixgbe*  version 3.23.2)
    Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+ (using driver*i40e*  version 1.1.23,
because latest driver did not work with IPv4)

The sad thing is that it's quite chaotic - it's working in some VLANs
quite OK, but in some VLANs it's not.

Multicast ping (ff02::1) does not show all link local addresses in reply
(tcpdump running on multiple VMs - in same node, in different node) on
some VMs, so my guess is that Linux bridge does not forward neighbor
solicitation packets still.

Upper part is written in morning, but I wanted to archive it for later.
Anyway, here is what I have so far.

When a random machine pings this new VM (ipv6), then it cannot see it.
Tcpdump shows that Linux bridge cannot hear neighbour solicitation
packets. When I ping from VM to random machine, then everything is
working. As long as this (for example physical) machine remembers this
VM MAC and IP.

So, I have again updated drivers (i40e network card drivers). Tried the
one, which is coming from pve-kernel and the latest 1.2.38 from Intel
webpage - still, i40e driver "eats" my NS packets.
See my other problem: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.pve.user/4184

My next guess is that maybe it's Linux bridge + i40e bug, I am going to
try openvswitch configuration in that node.

All the best
Sten

​