[PVE-User] network transfer VM 100% CPU load

Tonči Stipičević tonci at suma-informatika.hr
Fri Sep 12 10:21:57 CEST 2014

Hello to all

I'm experiencing very very strange (for me) scenario .
I have installed kvm win 2012r2 server with all virtio drivers.

At first test results were great :
1. copying large file inside VM ->  average 100MB/s   virito disk driver
does great job (ide was 3 times slower)
2. copying large file from VM (logged with rdp to VM and transfer
initiated from this VM) to another physical server -> approx 90MB/s
alomost 1G saturated all the time

BUT

3. but when the transfer is initiated from the physical machine to the
VM   then transfer speed lowers down  to the 20MB/s (average)
and VM CPU load  goes up to 100%  and blocks the whole server and server
stops serving data at all

in VM performance viewer  System and System-interupts occupie CPU at most

So we can say that network and disk performance when sitting at VM is
perfect but on the other side it cannot stand average network traffic

If you need more inputs from me please write a.s.a.p.  :-)
because customer is waiting for this problem to be solved
so I thank you in advance for any hint/help

BR

Tonci Stipicevic

//