[PVE-User] Ceph is the preferred proxmox shared storage?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:44:53 CET 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:25:08 AM Angel Docampo wrote:
> Ceph provides block storage while Gluster doesn't, but the latest it's far
> easier to setup. As block storage, Ceph is faster than Gluster, but I have
> all my proxmox virtual environment with gluster running perfectly.

Limiting factor will be my network anyway.

Tough decision this, I keep swinging to and through - gluster is easier to
setup and conceptually simpler. But ceph is better integrated with proxmox and
seems to have the commitment of the px team - I prefer to go with the actively
supported tech.

Bit concerned about glusterfs's documentation, which to me, is poor.

But I do like that glusterfs is backed by a filesystem, so you can directly
access its files in an emergency.

> Bonded interfaces on linux are active-backup, so you have a 1Gb connexion on
> the storage side. Consider to upgrade to a faster
> ethernet/fiberchannel/infiniband.

I was going to set up a OVS bond, but both ovs and linux bonds have a wide
range of modes, including LACP

thanks.

--
Lindsay