[PVE-User] Ceph is the preferred proxmox shared storage?

Angel Docampo adocampo at dltec.net
Wed Oct 29 09:25:08 CET 2014

On 29/10/14 05:43, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Sorry to keep coming back to this :( but we're adding a 3rd node to
> our cluster which brings ceph back into the picture ...
>
> Is there a particular reason that ceph is preferred to glusterfs?
> better performance? more fault tolerant?
Ceph provides block storage while Gluster doesn't, but the latest it's
far easier to setup. As block storage, Ceph is faster than Gluster, but
I have all my proxmox virtual environment with gluster running perfectly.

On its day, I relied on Gluster because it was a more mature product
than Ceph, ready for production, but now I'm toying in a second cluster
with Ceph because now it's becoming a mature product as well... both
have pros and cons, and both are good, so I think there isn't a "winner"
between them at the moment.

> Also - my third proxmox node is just a lightweight intel nuc for
> quorum - it won't be running VM's or contributing storage. Does the
> following setup make sense?
>
> Node1: OSD1 + Monitor
>
> Node2: OSD3 + Monitor
>
> Node1: Monitor Only
>
> Node1 & Node2 are connected via Dual Bonded 1GB Ethernet
>
> Node3 Only has 1GB Ethernet

Bonded interfaces on linux are active-backup, so you have a 1Gb
connexion on the storage side. Consider to upgrade to a faster
ethernet/fiberchannel/infiniband.

You will have no problems with your intel nuc as quorum node, I have a
512MB RAM VM with 8GB HDD with debian and proxmox for that purpose.
--

*Angel Docampo
*