[PVE-User] VM wipe disk

Mikhail m at plus-plus.su
Thu Oct 23 13:56:29 CEST 2014

On 10/23/2014 03:47 PM, Luis G. Coralle wrote:
> Hi all, has anyone ever experienced the disk of a virtual machine after
> reboot, the disk is emtpy, without partitions, without partition table,
> nothing! I try recover them but nothing...

Hello,

Recently I had similar issue. It is not related to Proxmox thought - I
used plain libvirt setup (managing vms with "virsh"), and after
rebooting one of the VMs the disk (which was a LV attached to VM) had no
partition table. I checked the disk using "less /dev/vmfs/vm-123" (which
is a logical volume that was attached to vm) and found that it contains
valid "LVM" data. To recover from this issue, all I had to do is to use
fdisk and create new partition table, which in my case was a single
"Linux LVM" type (8E) partition.. then it worked.