[PVE-User] Info on qcow2 clone

Alessandro Briosi ab1 at metalit.com
Wed Oct 22 17:33:32 CEST 2014

Hi all,
don't know if this has been rised before.

I have created a KVM with a qcow2 file (32G per default)

Now if I look at the file on filesystem size is reported as 32GB, but at
a closer look it's a sparse file so with a system inside using only 5GB,
it's acqually using 5GB on the server (ls -ls)
I suppose it's created with preallocation=metadata

Though if I clone the VM the disk size of the cloned VM results to be
using the whole 32GB of disk space (it's not a sparse file)

Is this by design? I would expect that cloning a sparse qcow2 would
create another sparse qcow2 file.

Tests are on local storage btw.

Thank you,
Alessandro