[PVE-User] Can I delete the hard disk of a running VM??!! Really??!! It can't be!!!

Iosif Peterfi iosif.peterfi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 07:14:17 CEST 2014

Greetings,

        If someone 'malicious' has the permissions to delete the HDD files,
then he might as well shut down or kill the virtual machines processes
before deleting everything. And the HDD data is the least important problem
in this situation. Since you must have backups for everything already and
start the recovery. IMHO more important is the question when and how the
'malicious' person acquired admin privileges. This might give you a clue on
which backup to recover.
        Locking the disk file would do more bad than good since it will
prevent admins from doing simple administrative tasks as resetting a
password on the VM.

Regards,
Iosif