[PVE-User] On VMware vSphere

Gilberto Nunes gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:28:17 CEST 2014

I agree with many items pointed for Martin...
I always searched for a integrated environment, at least one that have
backup tool, mobile access, Cluster and HA... And Proxmox has all of them,
for free...

But I still think Proxmox Cluster could much easier to deploy...
The needs of special hardware, such fence device, and the instability of HA
itself, let the environment more complex to manager...

> vsphere is the market leader and there is some great software, but in a
> lot of situations Proxmox VE is a good replacement. At least this was the
> case for several thousands of happy Proxmox VE users.
>
> The main reasons why people shift to Proxmox VE:
>
> 1. Open source license and far lower costs TCO
> Did someone remember the vsphere blackout in 2008 - all vmware support
> lines were overloaded, no one in the world can start VM due a license bug -
> vmware released a bug fix soon but as all their pages was overloaded, no
> one could get the fix fast, phone support was totally dead.
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2652708/security/vmware-ceo-apologizes-for--time-bomb--mess.html
> Just a small example for hair-raising bugs from the big players. Every
> software got bugs, but if the sources are closed its impossible to fix by
> your own (or pay someone to fix it for you).
>
> 2. no extra management server needed, no SPOF in a Proxmox VE Cluster,
> fast setup
>
> 3. great hardware support, a lot of storage option, including Ceph RBD
>
> 4. Active and helpful community, but also commercial support for a fair
> price
>
> 5. Latest qemu/KVM and OpenVZ containers
>
> Of course, the list is not complete. Some users do also NOT trust US based
> software companies anymore, as the NSA has direct access to all their data
> by US law - especially customers outside USA are not that happy about
> this.  So just compare and choose what fits to your setup and needs!
>
> Best,
> Martin

Gilberto Ferreira