[PVE-User] Kernel 3.10

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr
Mon Mar 17 15:30:31 CET 2014

Le 17/03/2014 15:13, Lindsay Mathieson a écrit :
>> I planning the migration to 3.2 PVE version, and I am intent to use
>> >the 3.10 Kernel version .
>> >
>> >I never use OpenVZ, just KVM .
>> >
>> >Any recommendation or regard ??
> I'd be curious to - any big advantages to the 3.10 kernel over 2.6.32?

I tested it, in my experience, it is far from being ready for production
use. I posted a thread on the forum, see there :
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/18080-Update-cluster-to-3-2-and-kernel-3-10-quorum-lost

My experience is that as soon as there is no more 2.6.32 kernel in the
cluster, you lost the cluster (no more communication between the nodes,
no more quorum). I had to remove the 3.10 kernel.

Second, when I first installed the 3.10 kernel, the node did not
rebooted properly. It was trying to mount LVM volumes before detecting
the Raid controller. There a workaround for this, but it should not
happen. It is to add the argument 'scsi_mod.scan=sync' to grub defaults,
in /etc/default/grub, to the line :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet scsi_mod.scan=sync"

When it happens, you are given a busybox shell, and you can enter 'lvm
vgchange -a y', to mount LVM volumes (at this point, it had sufficient
time to detect the controller), and then Ctrl-D to resume the boot. See :
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/17306-New-3-10-0-Kernel

There are perhaps other bugs in this configuration...

So, as said in the release notes, it is only for testing...

Akain

--
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Photonique et Nanostructures (LPN/CNRS - UPR20)