[PVE-User] Proxmox Wishlist

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Wed Jun 25 09:02:09 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 24/06/14 23:22, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
>>> 3.) Software RAID/Fake-RAID is not suited for the enterprise environment, with that said, you can still run Proxmox on Software RAID, but it's not supported. You don't need a $300 RAID card, I bought a complete >>server recently for $200 that had a built-in LSI SAS1064E controller
> I'm begin to test raid management at lvm level (available since last lvm releases), maybe it could be easy to extend the proxmox installer.
I made some tests months ago, and I was socked to see that when a disk
in LVM raid-1 broke, LVM provided no warning (as opposed to mdadm, that
sends a message and logs to syslog).

Maybe it was bad configuration on my part, but it made us continue to
use mdadm for softRAID and never look back.

BTW, we have mdadm deployed for production purposes in a pair of
clusters with success. I think that with the level of expertise required
to manage mdadm softRAID, relaying on the debian installer is good enough.

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico