[PVE-User] Experience with KVM and Windows Server Vms

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Thu Jan 30 13:02:02 CET 2014

Hi Christian,

On 30/01/14 12:54, Christian Blaich wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> do you have long time experience in running windows Servers 2008+ on
> kvm in a prodoctive environment?
> We are using a lot of Vmware stuff and I want to create a testing
> envirnment with kvm. What are the known issues, what are your personal
> experiences?

We have experience of running Windows Servers from the times of Proxmox
1.x, currently using Proxmox 2.x and 3.x in different environments. We
have not used VMWare vSphere in production (but we did migrate a VMWare
vSphere infraestructure to Proxmox 3.x). We are running Windows 2003,
Windows 2008 32bit, Windows 2008R2 32bit, Windows 2012 64 bit.

We're quite happy with the results, it's very important to use virtio
drivers for performance. You may have some issues shutting down windows
boxes from Proxmox GUI, there are some instructions for this to work on
PVE wiki.

Cheers
Eneko

--