[PVE-User] CEPH: How to remove an OSD without experiencing inactive placement groups

Chris Murray chrismurray84 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:46:49 CET 2014

Hi Eneko,

Thank you. From what I'm reading, those options affect the amount of concurrent recovery that is happening. Forgive my ignorance, but how does it address the 78 placement groups which were inactive from the beginning of the process and past the end of the process?

My google for the following doesn't turn up much:
"stuck inactive" "osd max backfills" "osd recovery max active"

I don't understand why these would become 'stuck inactive' until I brought the OSD up again. If it were a case of the lack of IO in the pool getting in the way of recovery (which I can understand with only nine disks), why were there 78 pgs inactive from the beginning, then (presumably the same) 78 at the end? I might expect in that situation that the VMs would be slow, and at the end of the process or part-way through when the IO has subsided, CEPH would decide that they become one of the active states again. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of CEPH and they are probably complex enough to just go over my head anyway; just trying to understand roughly what it's chosen to do there and why. I can see why those tunables might improve the responsiveness during the recovery process though.

Thanks,
Chris